MX Reports Results for Third Quarter 2020
– Completed sale of the Foundry Services Group business and Fab 4 on September 1, 2020
– Cash balance as of September 30, 2020 was $542.1 million including approximately $350.6 million cash proceeds
– Paid $227.4 million to fully redeem 6.625% 2021 Senior Notes on October 2, 2020, lowering the future interest expense by approximately $16 million annually
– Revenue of $124.8 million, including $8.6 million revenue from transitional foundry service, increased 5% sequentially, exceeding high-end of the guidance range
– Gross profit margin of 22.9% reflecting approximately 300 bps negative impact from one-time items
– Net income of $273.0 million, including income from discontinued operations reflecting the $287.1 million gain on sale of the Foundry Services Group business and Fab 4; GAAP earnings per share of $7.74, including income from discontinued operations
– Net income from continuing operations of $8.5 million; GAAP diluted earnings per share from continuing operations of 21 cents
– Non-GAAP diluted earnings per share from continuing operations of 14 cents
SEOUL, South Korea, Oct. 29, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — Magnachip Semiconductor Corporation (NYSE: MX) (“Magnachip” or the “Company”) today announced financial results for the third quarter of 2020.
“Q3 represented a pivotal chapter of Magnachip as we successfully closed the sale of the Foundry business and Fab 4 that ultimately resulted in Magnachip becoming a pure-play Products company with a very healthy balance sheet. Across the company, we are making well-planned moves to realign our resources, sharpen our R&D focus on key priority areas, and improve our operational efficiency,” said YJ Kim, Magnachip’s chief executive officer. “During the third quarter, we also delivered solid performance with a 5% sequential revenue growth and a healthy bottom line despite the market disruptions caused by pandemic and geopolitical tension.”
“More importantly, the upswing in demand which began in July has continued into the fourth quarter thus far. We are encouraged by the robust growth opportunities ahead of us, which creates a stronger foundation for profitable growth. We continue to push the envelope on enhancing our competitive position through continuous technology advancement, addressable market expansion and strategic customer engagements.”
Q3 2020 Financial Highlights
(1) Following the consummation of the sale of the Foundry Services Group business and Fab 4, and for a period up to three years, the Company will provide transitional foundry services to the buyer for Foundry products manufactured in the Company’s fabrication facility located in Gumi (“Transitional Fab 3 Foundry Services”). Management believes that disclosing revenue of the Transitional Fab 3 Foundry Services separately from the standard products business allows investors to better understand the results of our core standard products display solutions and power solutions businesses.
(2) In the third quarter, total net income of $273.0 million included income from discontinued operations, net of tax, of $264.5 million, primarily attributable to the recognition of $287.1 million as gain on sale of the Foundry Services Group and Fab 4.
(3) Management believes that non-GAAP financial measures, when viewed in conjunction with GAAP results, can provide a meaningful understanding of the factors and trends affecting Magnachip’s business and operations and assist in evaluating our core operating performance. However, such non-GAAP financial measures have limitations and should not be considered as a substitute for net income from continuing operations or as a better indicator of our operating performance than measures that are presented in accordance with GAAP. A reconciliation of GAAP results to non-GAAP results is included in this press release.
Q4 2020 financial guidance
The COVID-19 global pandemic is still evolving and continues to reduce our forward visibility. While actual results may vary, Magnachip currently anticipates for Q4 2020:
Revenue to be in the range of $128 million to $136 million, which represents approximately 3% to 9% sequential growth, including $10 million to $11 million of the Transitional Fab 3 Foundry Services.
Gross profit margin to be in the range of 25% to 27%.
Third Quarter 2020 Earnings Conference Call
Magnachip will host a conference call at 5 p.m. Eastern Time on October 29, 2020. The conference call will be webcast live and also is available by dialing toll-free at 1-844-536-5472. International call-in participants can dial 1-614-999-9318. The conference ID number is 7584769. Participants are encouraged to initiate their calls at least 10 minutes in advance of the 5 p.m. Eastern Time start time to ensure a timely connection. The webcast and earnings release will be accessible at www.magnachip.com. A replay of the conference call will be available the same day and will run for 72 hours. The replay dial-in numbers are 1-404-537-3406 or toll-free at 1-855-859-2056. The access code is 7584769.
Safe Harbor for Forward-Looking Statements
Information in this release regarding Magnachip’s forecasts, business outlook, expectations and beliefs are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements include statements about Magnachip’s future operating and financial performance, outlook and business plans, including fourth quarter 2020 revenue and gross profit margin expectations, and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic and escalated trade tensions on Magnachip’s fourth quarter 2020 and future operating results. All forward-looking statements included in this release are based upon information available to Magnachip as of the date of this release, which may change, and we assume no obligation to update any such forward-looking statements. These statements are not guarantees of future performance and actual results could differ materially from our current expectations. Factors that could cause or contribute to such differences include the impact of changes in macroeconomic and/or general economic conditions, including those caused by or related to the COVID-19 outbreak, recessions, economic instability and the outbreak of disease; the impact of competitive products and pricing; timely design acceptance by our customers; timely introduction of new products and technologies; ability to ramp new products into volume production; industry wide shifts in supply and demand for semiconductor products; industry and/or company overcapacity; effective and cost efficient utilization of manufacturing capacity; financial stability in foreign markets and the impact of foreign exchange rates; unanticipated costs and expenses or the inability to identify expenses which can be eliminated; compliance with U.S. and international trade and export laws and regulations by us and our distributors; public health issues, including the COVID-19 pandemic; other business interruptions that could disrupt supply or delivery of, or demand for, Magnachip’s products, including uncertainties regarding the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic that may result in factory closures, reduced workforces, scarcity of raw materials and goods produced in infected areas, as well as reduced consumer and business spending affecting demand for Magnachip’s products due to government and private sector mandatory business closures, travel restrictions or the like to prevent the spread of disease; and other risks detailed from time to time in Magnachip’s filings with the SEC, including our Form 10-K filed on February 21, 2020, our Form 10-Qs filed on May 11, 2020 and August 7, 2020 (all of which including that the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic may also exacerbate the risks discussed therein) and subsequent registration statements, amendments or other reports that we may file from time to time with the Securities and Exchange Commission and/or make available on our website. Magnachip assumes no obligation and does not intend to update the forward-looking statements provided, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
About Magnachip Semiconductor
Magnachip is a designer and manufacturer of analog and mixed-signal semiconductor platform solutions for communications, IoT, consumer, industrial and automotive applications. The Company provides a broad range of standard products and manufacturing services to customers worldwide. Magnachip, with more than 40 years of operating history, owns a portfolio of approximately 1,200 registered patents and pending applications, and has extensive engineering, design and manufacturing process expertise. For more information, please visit www.magnachip.com. Information on or accessible through Magnachip’s website is not a part of, and is not incorporated into, this release.